Lessons From Building Businesses
I embarked on this journey because I loved the early days of building Morning Brew, and I wanted to recreate that feeling over and over and over again.
The plan was simple:
-
Incubate 1-2 new businesses per year
-
Spend most of my time in the 0-to-1 phase
-
Bring on a CEO as soon as a business’s cash flow can afford it
-
Fire myself from the business within 12 months
Table of Contents
-
Initial Doubts
-
Case Study: storyarb
-
Key Lessons
-
Picking the Right CEO Is Everything
-
Everything Takes Longer Than You Think
-
Pivoting Is the Rule, Not the Exception
-
You Need the Right Structure
-
Think of Yourself as a Product
-
Multipreneurship Isn’t for Everyone
-
-
Conclusion
-
Building something great requires maniacal focus. This model is unfocused by design.
-
I had an early win with Morning Brew, but I wasn’t sure if I was lucky or actually good.
-
It was unclear if I could find great talent that would subscribe to this model.
It’s only inning two and there’s a lot to be proven, but early signs are strong.
I co-founded the business with Abby Murray 22 months ago, and since making a large pivot 6–8 months ago, it’s been on fire:
-
$3,000,000 in revenue annualized
-
Growing 20% per month
-
25% profit margins
-
An absolutely savage team
-
And I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and the business would be totally fine.
-
Picking the Right CEO Is EverythingYou can only build a portfolio of businesses if you trust your partners to execute them autonomously and successfully.
-
Everything Takes Longer Than You ThinkMy original goal was to fire myself from storyarb within 12 months.
In reality, it took 18 months to get there.
-
Pivoting Is the Rule, Not the ExceptionThe odds that you nail the first product from the jump are almost 0%.
Your ability to absorb information, find signal, and know the right time to shift course is underrated.
-
You Need the Right StructureIn this next phase of multipreneurship, a huge to-do for myself is to answer the following questions:
-
How many ideas can I work on at any given time?
-
What is my process for qualifying ideas?
-
What milestones must I hit to turn qualified ideas into legit businesses?
-
Think of Yourself as a ProductThe only way to command significant upside in the businesses I launch, while being able to step out of the day-to-day, is to offer so much value to my cofounder that it is worth their time.
For me, it’s three things:
-
Distribution: a trusted audience gives my businesses unfair access
-
Zone of genius: my three gifts (invention, storytelling, curiosity) increase the odds of getting through the 0-to-1
-
My network: my network of founders, investors, and operators gives my cofounder an edge
-
Multipreneurship Isn’t for EveryoneMultipreneurship shouldn’t be an empty goal. It should be the solution to a problem.
Learn more about my approach to building multiple businesses at Alex Lieberman .

Comments
Post a Comment